ANTIABANDONMENT DEVICES LAW: PUBLISHED THE DECREE IN THE OFFICIAL GAZETTE
After a long legislative process, the decree implementing Article 172 of the New Highway Code to prevent the abandonment of children in closed vehicles was finally published in the Official Gazette General Series no. 249 of 23 October 2019.
Below are the main points of the measure.
WHO IS IT ADDRESSED TO?
To all drivers, resident in Italy, who transport children aged between 0 and 4 years on the main categories of vehicles and trucks.
WHEN WILL THE MEASURE COME INTO EFFECT?
7th November 2019
GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE ANTI-ABANDONMENT DEVICE
The anti-abandonment device can be:
- Originally integrated into the child restraint system;
- A basic equipment or an accessory to the vehicle included in the information package of the vehicle;
- Independent of both the child restraint and the vehicle.
IN ORDER FOR THE DEVICES TO BE COMPLIANT, WHAT ARE THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONAL CHARACTERISTICS?
- The device shall be capable of automatic activation at each use, without further action by the driver;
- The device shall give a confirmation signal to the driver at the time of activation;
- If the device detects the need to give an alarm signal, the device shall be able to draw the driver’s attention in a timely manner by means of visual and acoustic signals or visual and haptic signals, perceptible inside or outside the vehicle;
- When powered by a battery, the device must be capable of signaling low levels of remaining charge to the driver;
- Anti-abandonment devices may be equipped with an automatic communication system for sending messages or calls via mobile wireless communication networks.
IN ORDER FOR THE DEVICES TO BE COMPLIANT, WHAT ARE THE ESSENTIAL TECHNICAL AND CONSTRUCTION FEATURES?
- The device must be based on electronic systems with logic of use or using appropriate sensors;
- When interacting with the vehicle or with the appropriate restraint system, the device shall not in any way alter its approval characteristics.
DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE REGULATION IMPLEMENTING ARTICLE 172 OF THE NEW TRAFFIC REGULATIONS
When an anti-abandonment device is made available on the market, the manufacturer shall ensure that it complies with the essential technical construction and functional requirements set out above. The manufacturer shall then draw up a declaration of conformity and make it available on request. In drawing it up, the manufacturer shall take responsibility for the conformity of the anti-abandonment device with the essential technical construction and functional requirements.
To consult the declaration of conformity for Tippy Pad click here.
The State has made available tax incentives, “Bonus anti abandonment devices” (expired), for all families who have purchased it, from 7/11/2019 to 31/12/2020.
All applications for reimbursement and vouchers had to be submitted no later than 31/12/2020.
For more information please consult the FAQs on the Italian Ministry of Transport website.
To read the full text of the Official Decree click here.